Over the last year, as bank Fixed Deposits rates fell and stocks gained (after the COVID correction), Zerodha’s Kite app emerged as one of the go-to products for young investors across India.
Zerodha’s app, and brokerage charges, are tuned towards a certain type of investor: those who trade a lot via ‘day trading’.
However as the market, as well as its participants mature, long term investors are also taking note of Zerodha. This is on the back of a much better UX compared to existing large brokerages such as ICICI Direct, HDFC Sec et al
For investors who are not into day trading, the ‘Holdings’ tab is where all the action is. We believe, given how the data is shown presently, it certainly can be decluttered to make the information more easy to consume.
So, in this challenge, you need to find ways to declutter Zerodha’s app, specifically the Holdings tab (under Portfolio), so as to make it more subtle, intuitive and user friendly for long term investors. However, if you think the current design works well, please share your rationale and design justification for it to be kept unchanged.
We are not expecting redesigns, but welcome modified mocks to convey your ideas.
Annotated screen can also be used to identify issues and make suggestions.
Your submission can be a product note with wireframes as well. However, given that this is a design focused challenge, only a note (with no mocks or wireframes or annotations) will not suffice.
- We absolutely recommend speaking with existing Zerodha users, especially long term investors, incase you haven’t used the product yourself
- If you are not a Zerodha user, you can use the Prototype to get a feel for the product. Additionally we have shared sample screenshots of the specific screen that needs improvements
- Please note, the changes are meant for existing investors, so it’s not a case of investor education. Hence avoid suggestions such as: show coach marks, add helper videos. The goal is to reduce clutter and make the interface more intuitive and easy to read
- You are not expected to work on ANY of the charts. Your suggestions should only be limited to information visible on the Holdings Tab (under Portfolio). However, if you want you may choose to add more information in the form of charts, visuals etc
- Zerodha is NOT hosting this challenge. It is just a learning exercise
Link to Prototype
- A basic explainer on difference between day trade and long term investing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=y_qyplOgzeM