- What's Buzzing
Our Goldmine of the Top Solutions from all Product & Design challenges
A Fun Quiz to Test your Product Knowledge. A new Quiz Every Friday!
Solve Competitive Real World Product Problems and Get Continuous 1-on-1 Feedback to Improve
Read and Practice Product & Design Case Studies
Apply to Jobs
View and apply to design and product jobs
Post a Job
Tap into our talent pool of 7000+ designers and product managers
Get guidance from mentors to improve your CV, portfolio, take mock interviews
Get improvement areas for your CV to convert more applications into interviews.
Get feedback on your portfolio website to make a good first impression on hiring managers
Build confidence by doing mock interview with Product & Design professionals
Tasks & Assignments
Get guidance on your interview task
- For Businesses
- About Us
Context: Building Better Nudges for Subscription Service
Youtube has become an almost indispensable product incase you are interested in video based content. Be it tech reviews, recipes, learning, game streaming, short form or long form content: Youtube is the go-to product.
A large part of this ‘indispensability’ comes from Youtube being free and ad-supported.
Content creators get a platform with a huge user base and also earn via ads. Businesses get the eyeballs they want in exchange for some money. And Youtube benefits from both, as it keeps enhancing an already fantastic product.
A clear win-win for all, especially the viewer.
But things started changing a year back as Youtube launched Youtube Premium and began pushing people for trials, aggressively.
Aggressively is the keyword here: because we as users are used to subtlety as far as Google products go. And while the aggression has helped convert some users, a large set of users is, if one can call it, ‘irritated’.
In this challenge you need to find ways to reduce or do away with this ‘irritation’ while ensuring that overall business objectives aren’t massively impacted.
Essentially, you need to find subtle ways in which nudges for Youtube Premium can be created, as opposed to the prompts and pop-ups that we presently see.
Also, you need to suggest a rule based funnel (i.e. defining parameters on how to bucket users based on their interaction with youtube) that can help manage different types of users. These rules should ensure the prompts and nudges are shown to the most relevant set of users, and at the right time.
The suggestions you make should be a mix of both design and rule changes.
- This challenge is NOT hosted by Youtube and is only a learning exercise
- We are not looking for redesigns, but you may choose to make mocks
- The rules can be simple pointers or can also be visually represented, the choice is yours
- The suggestions should be for the Youtube app only
- The points you score will be added to the Weekly Leaderboard, making you eligible for the final prizes at the end of the season. So, even if half done, make sure you atleast submit your solution, to gain some points. View Leaderboard and Prizes
Formats & Templates:
- Notion: https://www.notion.so/uxhack/Templates-d685dd9f72d94457b9981921c06e3ebe
- My favorite product management templates – Issue 37 - https://www.lennyrachitsky.com/p/my-favorite-templates-issue-37
<The templates are only for reference. You are free to use any format of your choice>
- YouTube needs to chill with its annoying Premium spam | Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/23/20946114/google-youtube-premium-subscription-ads-pop-ups-spam-rant
- YouTube is a $15 billion-a-year business, Google reveals for the first time | Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21121207/youtube-google-alphabet-earnings-revenue-first-time-reveal-q4-2019
- [Request] Block the new annoying YouTube pop up asking you to purchase YouTube Premium | Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/dzretk/request_block_the_new_annoying_youtube_pop_up/
- Have YouTube ads gotten....really...really bad? Nonstop? Or is that just me? (Must read the comments) | Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/jyckab/have_youtube_ads_gottenreallyreally_bad_nonstop/